VP, Engineering and Product
We are looking for a talented, driven, and collaborative VP of Engineering and Product for our early stage company, that is appropriately pragmatic and bottom line driven. You’ll be reporting to Cortex’s CEO, and managing a highly talented team of engineers. You’ll be responsible for setting the overall technology vision, and working collaboratively with us to deliver amazing product experiences across all of our application’s channels including web, mobile, email and push notifications.
About Our Engineering Team
Our engineering team plays a critical role in Cortex’s mission to dramatically reduce commercial building’s energy use by:
- Creating new software product experiences that assist building operators in efficiently and effectively running their buildings by delivering our high impact
- Creating Machine Learning recommendations through our web, mobile, email, and push notification channels.
- Integrating with third-party APIs to import utility company and building management system data to be used to feed our Machine Learning algorithms.
- Working closely with our Customer Success team to support client onboarding and operations.
- Building Internal Tooling to allow our Customer Success team to scale their operational support of our clients.
- As the Engineering team leader:
- Define: Partner with CEO to translate product vision into detailed product roadmap
- Direct: Break down product roadmap into sprints for engineering team to work on
- Support: Act as sounding board for engineers to bounce ideas off of
- Build: Get hands dirty and build features
- Recruit, develop, manage, retain and align our small, but growing technology teams, including
- As a Cortex leader:
- Collaborate with other leaders to align business strategy, vision, and long-term technology and product strategy. No bleeding edge tech. for tech’s sake here.
- Be the external face – deliver presentations, conduct demonstrations of capabilities and solutions — of the company’s technology solutions for clients, partners and other stakeholders.
- Be an evangelist to Cortex’s technology team and all employees, building the business understanding and enthusiasm for our emerging technology solutions.
- History at VC/PE-backed fast-paced early-stage SaaS business, where you’ve successfully led and grown engineering team(s)
- Experience seeing the holistic technology picture, knowing what architecture can and cannot do, and knowing how and when to evolve that architecture.
- Extensive experience with and preference for Agile.
- Demonstrated success collaborating cross-functionally and using influence to deliver a product to the market.
- Success building and scaling to successful exit, the product portfolio of a rapidly growing Real Estate Tech Platform would be our unicorn candidate.
- Experience working with standard software engineering tools and practices such as version control, automated testing, and lightweight project management. We use Git, RSpec, and Clubhouse. Product-focused.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You’re honest and trustworthy; a respected member of the organization who leads by example, and who people enjoy working with. You inspire.
- You’re strategic and operational. You can see around corners and translate that vision back into the implications for the company’s technology and technology team.
- You’re an execution machine with the brass-tacks pragmatism to know when to say when.
- You’re a seasoned leader with growth company DNA and scale. You can lead a team, or roll-up your sleeves to build, depending on the rapidly evolving needs of different parts of the company, which are at different stages of maturity.
- You have a track record of building from early stage, scaling and operating a successful tech organization delivering a SaaS product.
- You’re an entrepreneur and think of the word NO as next option. You see opportunity everywhere, welcome mistakes as part of your leadership journey and greet adversity as something to further develop your resilience. You can employ the 80/20 rule brilliantly, but you know when the last 20 percent matters and how to achieve it through the operating levers of people, process, systems or products.
The usual suspects: Competitive compensation/equity, commuter benefits, and access to Medical, HSA and 401k plans. Unlimited paid time off. Your choice of 13” or 15” Macbook Pro. Work in an environment where clean code, automated testing, constructive code reviews, collaborative whiteboarding, thoughtful design, and easy deployments are considered to be the standard operating procedure
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org